Thursday, January 02, 2014

Dodging Raindrops

For the last year and a half or so, I have been living my life like someone trying to dodge the raindrops.  Raindrops are the little things.  Laundry that goes sour too fast.  Cats that refuse to use the litterbox properly.  Related carpet stains.  Lost thread.  A sink full of dirty dishes.  Someone at work yells at you.  A driver on the interstate cuts you off, gives you the finger.  Spring termite swarm.  Late frost killing off your flowers.  An argument with a friend.

And in the middle of all that, you get lightening and golf-ball sized hail.

Unemployment.  Infertility.  Mono.  A spouse with kidney stones.  Medical bills.

In the end, you are standing in the rain, clothes plastered to your body, shoes squishing with every step.  Dreading the next hailstone or lightning bolt.

Sometimes I just want a moment to catch my breath.  Dry off a little.  Instead, I'm caught in the middle of an empty parking lot without an umbrella.

This year things are going to be different.  I'm gonna buy a raincoat.



6 comments:

  1. One of my goals this year is to handle the little things so that when the big things come, they don't knock me down. That's the best raincoat I'm gonna get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends on what the "little things" are. One of my cats is down to six lives with her repeatedly carpet desecration. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the way this post is written. Do buy that raincoat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm slowly figuring out what my raincoat is going to look like.

      Delete
  3. This spoke to me in a way that I cannot completely explain. Stay strong; buy that raincoat. I'm buying mine today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that this meant something to you! Your comment made my day in a way I can't explain. :) Good luck!

      Delete