Friday, January 03, 2014

Cathartic Retrospection

2012 was the best of times and the worst of times.  2013 just felt like the worst of times and even now I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  Without regard to MY feelings in this matter, Facebook keeps encouraging me to create my "year in review" to "celebrate the highlights of 2013."  The thing is, a few pictures from our family vacation and some posts about my cats an ongoing source of misery and humor don't really make up a picture of my year.  If you ask Facebook, my "word of the year" for 2013 was "glubs." I have no explanation for this.

Also, Facebook keeps recommending that I like the page "Duke Athletics."

DEAR FACEBOOK: STOP RECOMMENDING THAT I LIKE DUKE ATHLETICS. LIKE FETCH, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  Sincerely, every UK fan ever.

Clearly, there is a lot about me Facebook doesn't know. The serious stuff, the scary stuff, the life-altering stuff.  I can't just put that kind of stuff "out there" on Facebook, I would sound like a hormonal tween.

That's why I blog instead.  It's, like, totally more mature.

Okay, it would be a lie to say that NOTHING GOOD AT ALL happened in 2013.  I mean, seriously, I have a roof over my head, I have family and friends, and I have cats.

Two out of three ain't bad.  

Initially, this post wasn't supposed to take two days to write.  I was just going to do a quick-and-dirty 2013 "highlight reel." In spite of my feelings about the year in general, I thought I could improve upon Facebook's efforts. Yes, I knew it was cheating - posting a bunch of random pictures is not stretching myself as a writer. I told myself that it was "just for one day.  I'll do something better tomorrow."

I started going through pictures yesterday and then... I just didn't stop.  I've spent the last two days combing through my photographs from the last year.

It turns out that I captured a lot of good little moments.  Things about this year that I don't want to forget - but in light of difficult situations we have dealt with, things that are so much harder to remember.

Ultimately, I created this slideshow as a memorial to 2013.  It might be premature to say I'm feeling better, but I think that, maybe, I am starting to.

So, these are the little things that made this year survivable. Except for that one hospital picture.  That one is just for the LOLZ.   


Before I close this post, let me pretend to accept an award for a second and say thank you to some not-so-little people.  The people with me in these photographs.  I have an amazing family and a small but wonderful group of friends.  Without them, I wouldn't have survived this year.  These are the people who let me stand under their umbrellas for a few minutes.  Thanks, Rihanna.  I am also so incredibly blessed to have a husband who stood next to me in the rain even though I couldn't always see him through the downpour.  Thank you, guys.

Okay, enough of the rain analogy.

4 comments: