Sunday, November 06, 2011

A Brief Interlude -OR- A Defense of the Irrational

I couldn't settle on what to write about today.  I started laying a post out about sports in my head, but that devolved into this whole side track of what the Redskins could do to suck less, and that just made me grumpy, because it reminded me of the OTHER thing I was thinking about writing, which is The Hubs need to always be right.

Now, he might defend himself with instances in which he was, in fact, right, but the fly in the ointment is the fact that I don't claim to be perfect.  I mean, you can all read (presumably), so I couldn't get away with it if I tried.  I mean, its true I didn't kill the giant spider in our dining room.  He uses this instance as a defense to his laughing at me when I am upset.  It is also true that I am completely, unalterably, and irrationally terrified of spiders.  Except its not entirely irrational, because this terror stems from two facts:

I used to live in Georgia, in a swamp, with these:


L. Black Widow
R. Banana Spider
Below: Brown Recluse

So imagine my horror when I move to Kentucky (away, I thought, from the thought of waking up in bed with on of these on my face) to IN FACT wake up in the middle of the night with THIS on my face:

Its a wolf spider.  Painful but poison-less bite, but terrifying to find ON YOUR FACE at 2am.
And yes, it really was that size.
And thus, my terror of spiders was born.  So, knowing this, and knowing that I had been unable (due to my arachnaphobia) to kill a spider that morning, my husband thought it would be funny to tickle my face with bits of string until I woke up, thinking there was a spider on my face.  And then blames me for my irrational response.

NO ONE IS RATIONAL WHEN YOU WAKE THEM OUT OF A SOUND SLEEP.

You know what?  On that thought, I think I'm just going to leave that there. We can talk about sports tomorrow.


5 comments:

  1. I live in GA myself, and I know just what you mean (though I happen not to be terribly afraid of spiders. Talk to be about the big roaches, aka Palmetto bugs, though, and all bets are off!).

    Anyway, your reaction makes perfect sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! The Hubs himself is absolutely terrified of palmetto bugs... But I don't sneak up on him and make him think one fell SPLAT on his face, sleeping or otherwise. I may have, purely by accident, mind you, made him think he had a stink bug on him, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just saying, Shoe > Spider. Taking a picture of the spider is useless to me.

    Besides which, I was kind enough to leave out the time when I moved the living room carpet with my foot, and she completely lost it because the coffee table was moving without an apparent cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bugs don't bother me as much as snakes, with the exception of mosquitoes and gnats. I lived in Florida for a few years when I was really young. We had a lot of visitors, including little lizards that you'd find everywhere. We got used to them but they'd surprise aa few human guests when they woke up to find them in their beds! Good luck with NaBloPoMo- I started a little late with my blogs. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my gosh, those spiders would terrify me.
    Oh, and why do Husbands have to irritate us further than they already do??

    ReplyDelete