Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Second Best Green Beans In The World

The hubby makes the best green beans in the world. He covers them in savory toasted cheese, after steaming and salting them perfectly - so they are tender without being mooshy. "Best" is, of course, subjective. "Best," in this case, does not equal "healthiest." Not by any stretch of the imagination. Its not always cost-effective to smother green beans in a mixture of brie cheese, cream cheese, real butter and white pepper - and this is why MY green bean (the "second best") may be preferable to your wallet, if not to your palate.

I made these last week, which is how long it took me to figure out how to sync my cell phone with the lap top, so that I can actually transfer the pictures. So here you go. My amazingly delicious green beans.

Get your pan nice and hot, and cook up some bacon. I cut it in half, so that it will all fit, and cook more evenly. You want it to be crispy. Even if you don't normally like crispy bacon, it is better this way. It won't be crispy in the end.
While the bacon is cooking, chop up a medium onion, or about half of a large onion (which is what I used.)


Flip the bacon, and let it cook some more. While its cooking, rinse your green beans. We use fresh, not canned.
Drain the bacon on a paper towel.

Add a couple of tablespoons EVOO to the bacon grease in the pan.

Add the onions to the hot oil/grease.

Saute' onions.
Add a little paprika.

Add a little cayenne pepper.

Stir it all together.

Add about a cup of chicken broth/stock. I make my own, but you can use the stuff you buy at the store. I won't judge.

Add some salt. There isn't a picture of the salt because I forgot to add it until the end. But seriously, add it now. Bring to a simmer.

Steal a piece of bacon while you wait. This is the part where I chopped up the bacon, but I forgot to take a picture of chopped up bacon. Just trust me, I did.

Yay, its boiling! Stop stealing bacon now.

Add green beans.

Add bacon.

Cover.

Wait five minutes!

Drain. If you don't, you'll regret it. I drain in a colandar on a plate with the same paper towel from the bacon: once it cools a little, you can just throw it away. You don't want the grease to go down your drain, unless you are invested in the DRAIN-O company.


Tap your foot impatiently as husband slices the chicken. Also take pictures, so he will repeatedly stop serving the chicken to glare at you. This won't improve the flavor of your food, but it might make you giggle.


Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment